So I’ve been crushed by an old version of Microsoft Word. I knew I had paragraph formatting issues with my short story, Burning Moose, when I first uploaded it for sale as an Amazon e-book, but I thought I’d solved the problem with the short story Railroaded by saving it as an .rtf and going back to a .doc before uploading.
It turns out that did nothing. Railroaded was MS from 2004, the others–well, I think I wrote Burning Moose on a MAC SE that I bought used from CPused, a great store that has since gone under. You get the idea. Very old technology.
Luckily Smashwords has a 73 page manual on how to format your MS word document so that it will upload nicely as an e-book. So here I go again. I’ve uploaded a new version of Fire Retardant but it’ll take 24 hours to publish. I’ll check it out when it’s up to make sure it’s good and then I’ll relaunch.
I’m pretty sure this is going to get easier to do as new programs are written to solve these little formatting issues. In the meantime: at least I learned a lot about MS word today.